Monday, October 24, 2011

Bacon Strip Pancakes and Apple Butter Sourdoughs

Some time ago, a reader requested I make these bacon strip pancakes, as seen on Mr. Breakfast (whom I adore). How could I possibly refuse? It is pancakes plus bacon. Hooray! Pancakes! Plus bacon! Hooray! What day is it?



HOORAY.

Bacon Strip Pancakes [1962, from the back of an Aunt Jemima pancake mix)
(4 servings)


12 slices of bacon
2 cups prepared pancake batter
softened butter
maple syrup

Just about the best breakfast that ever greeted a hungry family! And it's as easy as this: Shake up Aunt Jemima batter according to package directions. Place cooked bacon strips on the griddle and pour batter over each strip. Bake 'em golden brown on both sides. Couldn't be easier - couldn't taste better! How about Aunt Jemima Bacon Strip Pancakes at your house tomorrow!


Unfortunately, I was so excited by the prospect of pancake-coated pork fat (fried in pork fat), I did not read the instructions carefully.


No matter.


Mmmmmmmmmm.

Verdict: Have I mentioned that it is bacon, coated with pancake? Fantastic. One does feel a little wrong, though, with a plate of bacon pancakes fried in bacon grease that you then spread with butter and soak with syrup. So wrong, and yet... so right.

But let's not stop there.


Apple Sauce Sourdoughs [Alaska Sourdough, 1976]

On hot, well greased skillet drop Sourdough [sourdough pancake batter, but any pancake batter will work fine] making small pancakes. Dip a small teaspoonful of sauce in center of each cake. Add a few drops of Sourdough batter, covering the applesauce. Bake until bubbly. Turn carefully, cooking well on the other side. Serve hot on warmed plates. Dust Sourdoughs with powdered sugar.


Verdict: Instead of applesauce, I used apple butter. Because apple butter is delicious. HOW have I never done this before?? Is this something that everyone else knows about but me? Genius. Genius! (Hooray!) It is like the pancake version of jelly doughnuts. I'm trying this again with raspberry jam. And strawberry jam. And apricot jam. And whatever other kind of jam I can get my hands on. Husband demands that both of these recipes appear again. He will be obliged. Probably on Christmas morning. And several times before then.

Maybe Halloween?



Hooray.

12 comments:

Amber said...

What does the recipe mean by "drop Sourdough making small pancakes"? Is sourdough just a way of saying pancake batter? Or is it suggesting one use sourdough starter on its own (which sounds horrible)?

Jana said...

Sorry, yes, it means sourdough pancake batter. I will clarify.

Amber said...

Also... those remind me of ho-ttoek, Korean rice pancakes that are filled with honey, ground peanuts, and cinnamon (and perhaps some brown sugar). Which would probably be a delicious filling for the filled sourdough pancakes!

Jana said...

That DOES sound delicious!

RetroRuth said...

Yum! I love it when these recipes turn out well, especially when they turn out to be delicious! I've seen this ad around a couple places and always wondered if was good. Glad to finally know!

GStaples said...

cute ideas!!! A must try for pancake and bacon lovers. Also this is one way for me to use up apple butter, thanks!

Jana said...

You're welcome. :D

Lisa said...

I really like maple syrup on my bacon - the salty/sweet combination, and this could be the perfect solution!

Jana said...

Perfect!

Anonymous said...

I've seen this before. Glad to know that it tastes as good as it sounds.

Ames said...

Sounds good but I think I'll pass on the "mock" duck! :)~Ames

Jana said...

Pish tush. Most things made of sausage are tasty! Except the cabbage sausage thing I made a while ago.

Not that.