Monday, February 20, 2012

Suet pudding

HA HA! Just kidding, I have not made suet pudding yet. I bet you were all, OH MAN. TODAY IS THE DAY. But no. It is a cruel joke.

I have got a recipe for Delicate Suet Pudding with jelly sauce all ready to go. I started to assemble the ingredients before realizing I had no pudding mold. And I was sad. How did I get this far into my adult life without having a pudding mold? It is disgraceful.

Almost as bad as the first time I bought grapefruits when I left home, and cut the first one open before realizing I honestly had no idea what to do with it because I did not yet own grapefruit spoons.

Anywhoodle, what I need from you all are Good Ideas ( or Entertainingly Terrible Ideas) about how to proceed. Internet, how am I to steam my beef-fat laden pudding?

11 comments:

Mercury Gray said...

I know Boston Brown Bread is traditionally steamed. Maybe something like this http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/boston_brown_bread/ could be helpful?

Additionally, the living history farm where I volunteer usually uses a bundt pan instead of a pudding pan. Same basic shape (large, round, hole up the middle) and the results are still pretty tasty.

Jana said...

Nice! How does the bundt pan get steamed, though?

Dawna said...

How to steam a Bundt pan? In a VERY LARGE pan with a lid & rack. Any chance you have a canning pot & rack lying around?

Kathleen said...

Could you use a crock pot, with a smaller souffle dish inside. Of cousre the presentation would not be quite as attractive. I was all excited to read about suet pudding, too.

Kathleen said...

I'm thinking with water in the bottom of the crockpot, in case you did not figure that out on your own. Kind of how you can do steel cut oats?

Kathleen said...

And as I can't quit commenting, I have seen tiny individual bundt pans for sale. Use a few of those.
http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Imports-Non-Stick-Inch-Bundt/dp/B002UNMYAO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1329844793&sr=8-11

Kathleen said...

And as I can't quit commenting, I have seen tiny individual bundt pans for sale. Use a few of those.
http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Imports-Non-Stick-Inch-Bundt/dp/B002UNMYAO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1329844793&sr=8-11

Jana said...

OH MY GOODNESS TINY BUNDT PANS. Dawna, the bundt pan + canning pot idea is genius.

Jackie said...

My mom and I are super keen on grapefruit, but we didn't own grapefruit spoons until I was almost in college. My mother used to meticulously cut out triangles of grapefruit for breakfast. My approach was much different. I just peeled the grapefruit like an orange.

But, oh my God! I *can't* believe you don't have a pudding mold!!! (.....what's a pudding mold?)

Jana said...

I know Jackie, I know. Please do not be too disappointed in me. And there is no need to pretend ignorance of such a basic kitchen device to make me feel better.

Michele said...

I have made a steamed suet pudding before and used a metal mixing bowl in a larger bowl. Worked great. It was a Plum Pudding, my dad loved it. Like really moist fruitcake.