Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Aunt Jenny's shortening steak

I know how you've missed Aunt Jenny and her love of Spry shortening. She just loves Spry SO MUCH.

Pennywise Steak
You'd never guess this steak is hamburg all dressed up!

1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 pounds hamburg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion juice

Combine crumbs and milk. . . . Combine hamburg, salt, pepper, onion juice, and crumb mixture and mix well. . . . Shape meat in form of a steak, pressing firmly together, and spread surfaces with Spry (see picture above). Place steak on rack under broiler. Broil until browned (6 to 10 minutes). Turn and brown on other side. . . . Serves 6.

Yes. I'm sure no one will notice that their steak is really made of hamburger if you shape it like... a comma? With a thick frosting of sweet, creamy Spry shortening! Mmmmmmm.

8 comments:

Nonna said...

That is just hilarious...I needed a good laugh today ! Thanks so much !!!

Jenny Jo said...

Mmmm, delicious meaty comma.

Speaking of meat, a friend of mine recently got this pamphlet: "Dishes Men Like" from Lea and Perrins. Of course I thought of your blog. http://www.alleewillis.com/awmok/books/dishes-men-like

Jana said...

Jenny Jo- That book looks right up my alley!

Betsy said...

So did you make it? How was it? Was your family fooled? C'mon, tell us! Aunt Jenny wants to know.

Jana said...

No, no I did not. But if anyone does, I will happily post their experience!

Nonna said...

I'm game to try it but do they still even make Spry ???

Jana said...

Sadly, no. But I bet other brands of shortening would work, as long as you do not under any circumstances tell Aunt Jenny. Those eyes... that smile... I fear it would end badly.

Nonna said...

Thanks...good advice Jana...I wouldn't cross Aunt Jenny either !